The Woman’s Club Building is now known as “The Woodland” and is available for private event rentals. The Maplewood Woman’s Club has played a vital role in Maplewood and beyond, from fundraising for student scholarships and activities, and the establishment of a community house and well-baby clinic, to raising money for a fighter plane during […]
The Georgian Revival style Maplewood Municipal Building dating to 1930 is the crown jewel of the Township and of the civic center. Visible from many points in the Township, the dominant feature of the municipal building is the white wood cupola and impressive limestone Doric colonnade with full entablature. The building sits on a broad […]
Maplewood Memorial Park consists of approximately 25 acres, bounded by Valley Street to the east, Baker Street to the south, Dunnell Road to the west and Oakland Road to the north. The park is a large, triangular-shaped, landscaped area, designed in the picturesque tradition with artfully arranged trees and shrubbery, winding foot paths, and gracefully […]
The original structure of the Durand-Hedden House was once the late 18th c. homestead of Obadiah Durand. Obadiah’s great grandfather, Edward Hedden and his wife Jane had moved to Robert Treat’s Newark Colony from Massachusetts roughly 100 years earlier. They subsequently were among the first pioneers from the Colony to settle the “uplands of Newark” at […]
One of the oldest houses in Maplewood, it is also known as the “Montgomery-Ogden House, the Old Stone House consists of a one-story wood frame 18th century portion with a later early 19th century stone addition, and a mid-20th century one-story wood frame rear addition. The house is located on a site that is approximately ¾ […]
Aaron dsds Brown was born in 1779, the eldest of eight children of Job Brown II and Jane Tompkins of South Orange. Brown was a direct descendant of John Brown and his wife May who had come from Connecticut in 1666 with the original settlers of Newark. Aaron Brown received a sum of money from […]
The earliest portion of the house may have been constructed for William Camp as early as ca. 1694. A two-story addition, with a slightly lower roofline, was added to the west by Ezekiel Ball ca. 1750. It was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers during the Revolutionary War. As one of the oldest […]
Visual inspection of this home suggests a date of the latter half of the 18th century with a possible construction date of 1765. The oldest portion of the house is 1½ stories with a side-facing gable roof. There is a two-story, side-facing gable addition to the east. This portion likely dates to the first half of the […]
The Sears Headley and Joseph Zellers farmhouse is a 2 ½ story single-family house. It is one of the oldest remaining buildings on Burnett Avenue. A post–Civil War structure, it is a vernacular building with Gothic Revival influences. Sears Headley, Sr. (1832 –1890), who probably built No. 38 Burnett Avenue and owned the property from […]
Sarah and Thomas Ball had had nine sons and three daughters, including Nathaniel, Ezekial, Aaron, Timothy and Jonas. In 1744, Jonas Ball married Hannah Bruen and built a home next to his father’s on the north side of Tuscan Road on a 47.5 acre property that was a part of his father’s original property. In 1750, […]
This gem was constructed in 1743, during Maplewood’s early settlement period, when settlers pushed out from Newark to the ridge of “the first mountain.” There is a local legend that George Washington stayed in the Timothy Ball House during the period of the “Battle of Springfield” in June of 1780. The Timothy Ball House is located fairly […]
Vaux Hall is a two-story Greek Revival style wood frame structure constructed in 1843 and was owned and occupied by the Pierson family from the time of its construction until 2000. Vaux Hall was constructed by Lewis Pierson (1801-1889), the youngest son of Samuel (1765-1833) and Mary Jones Pierson (1766-1832). Vaux Hall is of particular historic significance […]
WHAT IT IS The Center’s formal mission statement says, in brief, it is a place to collect, store & preserve documents relating to Maplewood and its history for the use of the community…for reference, for local history information and for genealogical research. The Center is overseen by the Durand Hedden House of Maplewood. The Center […]
The MHPC meets the first Wednesday of every month at 8pm. The meeting is open to everyone and the public is encouraged to attend. See the Events page for upcoming dates. Agendas and minutes from previous meetings can be found on the Township’s archive page.
The MHPC hosts a”Learn About Your House” event on a monthly basis at the Local History Center located in the Hilton Library. See the Events page for upcoming dates.
Maplewood Township today best reflects its early-twentieth-century suburban history, yet it has roots dating back to the seventeenth century. Settlers from Connecticut originally purchased the area that includes present-day Maplewood from Lenape Native Americans in 1667; this purchase stretched east to west from the Newark Bay to the foothills of the Watchung Mountains, and north […]