The Woman’s Club of Maplewood Building (aka 60 Woodland Road)

The Woodland (formerly the Woman's Club)

The Woman’s Club Building is now known as “The Woodland” and is available for private event rentals. The Maplewood Woman’s Club has played a vital role in Maplewood and beyond, from fundraising for student scholarships and activities, and the establishment of a community house and well-baby clinic, to raising money for a fighter plane during […]

Municipal Building

 The Georgian Revival style Maplewood Municipal Building dating to 1930 is the crown jewel of the Township and of the civic center. Visible from many points in the Township, the dominant feature of the municipal building is the white wood cupola and impressive limestone Doric colonnade with full entablature. The building sits on a broad […]

Maplewood Memorial Park

Maplewood Memorial Park consists of approximately 25 acres, bounded by Valley Street to the east, Baker Street to the south, Dunnell Road to the west and Oakland Road to the north. The park is a large, triangular-shaped, landscaped area, designed in the picturesque tradition with artfully arranged trees and shrubbery, winding foot paths, and gracefully […]

Durand-Hedden House

The original structure of the Durand-Hedden House was built in 1790 and was the homestead of Obadiah Durand. Obadiah’s great grandfather, Edward Hedden and his wife Jane had moved to Robert Treat’s Newark Colony from Massachusetts roughly 100 years earlier. They subsequently were among the first pioneers from the Colony to settle the “uplands of […]

The Old Stone House

One of the oldest houses in Maplewood, it is also known as the “Montgomery-Ogden House”, the Old Stone House consists of a one-story wood frame 18th century portion with a later early 19th century stone addition, and a mid-20th century one-story wood frame rear addition. The house is located on a site that is approximately ¾ […]

Aaron Brown House

Aaron dsds Brown was born in 1779, the eldest of eight children of Job Brown II and Jane Tompkins of South Orange. Brown was a direct descendant of John Brown and his wife May who had come from Connecticut in 1666 with the original settlers of Newark. Aaron Brown received a sum of money from […]

Ezekiel Ball House

  The earliest portion of the house may have been constructed for William Camp as early as ca. 1694. A two-story addition, with a slightly lower roofline, was added to the west by Ezekiel Ball ca. 1750. It was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers during the Revolutionary War. As one of the oldest […]

Gildersleeve House

Visual inspection of this home suggests a date of the latter half of the 18th century with a possible construction date of 1765.  The oldest portion of the house is 1½ stories with a side-facing gable roof.  There is a two-story, side-facing gable addition to the east. This portion likely dates to the first half of the […]

Headley Zellers House

The Sears Headley and Joseph Zellers farmhouse is a 2 ½  story single-family house. It is one of the oldest remaining buildings on Burnett Avenue. A post–Civil War structure, it is a vernacular building with Gothic Revival influences. Sears Headley, Sr. (1832 –1890), who probably built No. 38 Burnett Avenue and owned the property from […]

Jonas Ball House

Sarah and Thomas Ball had had nine sons and three daughters, including Nathaniel, Ezekial, Aaron, Timothy and Jonas. In 1744, Jonas Ball married Hannah Bruen and built a home next to his father’s on the north side of Tuscan Road on a 47.5 acre property that was a part of his father’s original property. In 1750, […]